Wednesday, 21 April 2010

Couldn't live without...

I know people have mixed opinions on Baby Bjorn carriers and they certainly don't work for everyone. But I couldn't have lived without mine.
Before having Ffion I was totally unaware how 'big' babywearing was and the choice of carriers, slings etc out there! All I knew was that I loved the idea of having Ffion close to me, especially in those early days.

I first took her out in it a couple of days after I left the birthing centre, she was just five days old!
Look how tiny she was (!):


Those early weeks were so precious. She would sleep while I carried her on long walks, round town, met with friends. Fast forward 6 months and she was facing outwards, spilling out and trying to jump out getting excited about seeing the world! At 9.5 months she is too big for it now, only just. And I find her too heavy so I am on the look out for another carrier. I'm fancying a Rose & Rebellion one, as recommended by @B4kersgirl.

Baby Bjorns new can be expensive - I won mine on ebay for some ridiculously low price. And it has been worth it's weight in gold. The material is soft and well padded, it's very simple to put on and put the baby in.
It really came into it's own on a trip to Brighton (from Wales) as I managed to load our bags into and onto the pushchair (yes we have one of those too, more on that another time) and push that while carrying Ffion close to me, keeping her safe at crowded stations and on busy public transport- much more important than the safety of our baggage! I even discreetly breastfed her in it on a busy London train.

I will miss using it but am excited about our next 'babywearing' purchase.
Do you babywear? If so, what are your favourite carriers?

3 comments:

debcw said...

I love wearing the little girl. I first took her out in her sling less than 24 hours after giving birth. She loved being in for a while until she got a bit bigger then we had one similar to yours with a rain cover, she like this because she could be front facing. Now we have a little life backpack carrier which is great, comfy for her and quite light to carry considering. She likes this one because she has the advantage of high.

notSupermum said...

Gorgeous photos of you and your babe, congrats on becoming a mum x

Emma (b4kersgirl) said...

As you know, I love my Rose & Rebellion. Now C is getting heavier, the back carry is great.

I love the photo of you carrying tiny Ffion!